Saturday, April 1, 2023

Exaltation 1: raise your voice in song

At a recent elementary school assembly for National African American Parent Involvement Day, each grade level performed a song or a poem together.  All the performances were well prepared and well done, but I found the call and response rendition of the song “Sing About Martin” by the pre-5 class particularly moving.  I was so taken by it, in fact, that I’ve shared the video of it made by the school principal with family and friends, and even now, when I watch it again for the umpteenth time, it brings tears to my eyes.

As you watch it, at the link below, imagine the scene: these little ones up in front of all of their schoolmates, all of the school’s teachers and staff, and many, many parents, their voices strong and clear – no fear, standing tall, filling the room with their powerful song.




Elsewhere on this blog, I have a series of Lamentations, documenting moments – especially in what I've read – that have generated for me a profound sense melancholy and sorrow.

But, there are moments of joy and awe, too, and this is the first of what I expect will be a series of Exaltations.


(The introduction to the Lamentations series can be found here, and links to the complete series here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment